Negotiating a Reduction of IRS Penalties

Negotiating for a reduction of IRS penalties can be a challenging process, but it’s definitely possible. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. *Understand the penalties*: Make sure you understand the reasons for the penalties and the amount of the penalties.
  2. *Gather documentation*: Collect any documentation that supports your case for a penalty reduction, such as records of payment history, proof of timely filing, or evidence of reasonable cause for errors.
  3. *Contact the IRS*: Reach out to the IRS by phone or mail to request a penalty reduction. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or submit a written request to the address on your penalty notice.
  4. *Use Form 843*: If you’re requesting a penalty reduction for a specific tax year, use Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement.
  5. *Explain your situation*: In your request, explain your situation and the reasons for requesting a penalty reduction. Be honest and provide supporting documentation.
  6. *Negotiate with the IRS*: If your initial request is denied, you can negotiate with the IRS to reach a settlement. This may involve speaking with an IRS representative or submitting additional documentation.
  7. *Consider seeking professional help*: If you’re not comfortable negotiating with the IRS yourself, consider hiring a tax professional or enrolled agent to help you navigate the process.

Some common reasons for requesting a penalty reduction include:

  • *Reasonable cause*: You can demonstrate that you took ordinary business care and prudence but still made an error.
  • *First-time penalty abatement*: If you’ve never had a penalty before, you may be eligible for a one-time waiver.
  • *Correction of errors*: If you’ve corrected errors and taken steps to prevent future errors.
  • *Undue hardship*: If paying the penalty would cause undue hardship.

Remember to stay calm, patient, and persistent throughout the process.
Good luck!

To see past publications please visit our Knowledge Center.

The information presented here should not be construed as legal, tax, accounting, or valuation advice. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice and after a thorough examination of the particular situation